Painting a picture in the dark

Tuesday, April 29, 2008
One of the things that plagues me as a parent some days is my inability to adequately represent my girls on this site. I don't feel like I can capture the true awesomeness, if that's even a word, of their beings and depict the love and humor and intelligence and compassion and pure, strong will packed into their tiny little bodies. Sometimes it's all so overwhelming to me, that I think that it would be easier to not even try.

I can't find the words to describe the look of curiosity and disgust and intensity on Josie's face as she discovers an ant outside and kneels down to get a closer look before ordering us to get it because she doesn't like ants, remember?

I can't truly describe what it's like to watch Eve as she grabs a book from the bookshelf and drops to the floor, completely absorbed, for the next 15 minutes, flipping pages and pointing out objects and naming them and telling the familiar story to herself in her own little words, in her own little world.

I can't capture the aura of pride that emanates from Josie when she not only is able to undress herself and put her clothes in the dirty clothes hamper, but picks out and completely gets into her pajamas all on her own and comes running from her room to show us that she did it all by herself.

And I can't really convey how awesome, and sometimes terrifying, it is to watch Eve follow her sister's lead and insist on doing everything by herself. She climbs into her highchair on her own, wants to walk up and down stairs on her own, and tries to put on shoes all by herself. The will and independence and determination is so strong in her, you can just feel it.

There are so many aspects of their personalities that are just too big, too funny, too much for me to tackle here. I can try to report on the day-to-day accomplishments, the struggles, the tears and the laughter. But to truly know them, you just have to be with them. I will never be able to do them the justice that they deserve here in only words. But I hope someday, if they ever read these words, they will appreciate that I tried.

4 comments:

Jara said...

I haven't seen Josie since she was a year and a half and I have never met Evie. It will be great to spend some time with you this summer! I am curious to see if Zoey and Eve have similar personalities.

CarolSue said...

Hmm. What might give you that hunch... strong-willed? Independent? :):):)

Dawn said...

I totally know what you mean. There are things I want to say but just can't find the words so I just don't blog half the time. And Bryyn is only three months old! I can't imagine how hard it will be when she's a big girl like yours!

Dave said...

I bet your girls know exactly how much you care for them whether you are able to put it into words or not. ;-) Being a parent is pretty cool huh?