Parenting is Exhausting

Sunday, June 07, 2009
Week One is done. And we're all still alive.

Exhausted, but alive.

There was a lot of laughter, and a few tears, I won't lie. Thursday was the toughest day - Eve has taken the art of the screaming fit to a whole new level, and after a solid bout on Thurs. a.m., I couldn't take it anymore. I walked into the bathroom, sat on the edge of the tub and let it go. So we all cried it out together for a few minutes, and then we moved on. We didn't have any playdates planned for our first week at home - and this is the first time I can say that just the three of us have spent such an intensive block of time together.

And, for the first time in my life, I feel what I can only describe as being more at peace with myself than I ever have been before. Perhaps that means that I've finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up... a mom. Makes me wonder what I was doing bothering with all the other stuff when it was right there in front of me the whole time.

I think this summer is going to be an Adventures in St. Paul kind of summer. I've forgotten how much I really love this city. I can't wait to explore it with my girls.

A recap (for posterity's sake) of my first week as a SAHM, btw... it was pretty much 72 and sunny every single day:
Monday - We met up with Daddy over his lunch break for a jog/walk on the river path, and a picnic lunch.
Tuesday - Library day, followed by lunch on the patio in the backyard, and a full afternoon of working/playing in the yard. No naps!
Wednesday - We visited Betty's house in the a.m.. and lunched outside, again.
Thursday - Checked out the playground at Harriet Island. Headed downtown for a picnic lunch date with Daddy in Mears Park.
Friday - the girls headed off to Grandma/Grandpa Dalys' house for the day while Pat and I (finally) painted their rooms. Pink for Eve, and purple for Jo. Eve, upon seeing her room when she returned, said - "it's so very PINK!" And she's right. Pepto Bismol comes to my mind, but it's growing on me. And Josie is now in an official "big girl" bed. And I'm up all night worrying about the distance she has to fall to the floor. :)

There's so much more. Everyday I wish I had some way to begin every blog post that flashes in my mind. But I've got my hands full, for the time being.

0 comments: