Overheard

Monday, March 31, 2008
At the dinner table tonight - I finished saying our prayer, and grabbed my fork, and was just about to take a bite...
Jo: "Mommy," (long pause) "where is God?"
Me: thinking to myself, oh crap. Blasted Twins home opener. Pat, where are you??!! "Well, He's kind of everywhere... but I guess you could say He's in Heaven."
Jo: "Welllll... why is He in Heaven? Did He get old? Like Buford?"
Me: "Hmm. Um - no... that's just kind of where He is."
Jo: "Oh. Can I see Him someday?"
Me: geez, Martha. How can I segue this into Dora or Super Why? "Yes. Someday we'll all see Him." holy crap. This is way too deep. Please change the subject. Please change the subject. Eve - DO something - why in the world are you quiet NOW??!
Jo: "Okay. Maybe I'll ask Daddy, too. Will he see God at the baseball game?" Yess!

Josie was sitting in the hallway one morning, trying to get the stubborn lid off her jar of "Sleepy Dust" that I left for her and Evie last summer while I was gone to Charlotte.
Jo: "Farts! FARTS! Evie - can you say 'farts'?"

We were gearing up to go to the park, or for a little walk, I forget which. Josie was extremely happy at the prospect to be outside, to say the least. She was the first to be ready, and was running around, proclaiming her happiness.
Jo: "Brewster! Brewster! I'm excited, Buddy... Are you excited??! Let's go! WAIT! My room is a MESS - I have to go clean up my room first!!" I'm going to enjoy that one while it lasts...

Eve walked around the house all day last Friday saying "S'cuse me. S'cuse me!" to everything she thought was in her way. The couch, the end table, Josie...

Josie was being silly at the dinner table the other night. She made a face, then told us:
"My brother does that."
Me: "Oh. Your brother?"
Jo: "Yeah. His name is Choy."
Pat: "Choy. Wow, Mommy - where exactly do you spend your days on Fridays, anyway?"
Me: simultaneously ignoring Patrick, but also giving him the evil eye, "So, Jo. What else can you tell us about Choy?"
Jo: "Welll... he's my brother. But, he's a girl. And he's from Choy-fau."

I was doing something in the kitchen, Josie and Eve were playing in the living room.
Jo: "Mommy! Look at me right now. State your problem!"

The girls had finished watching a movie, and were trying to figure out how to con me into letting them watch something else. I was standing firm in my decision that it was time for the television to be off for a while. Seeing that she was fighting a losing battle...
Jo: "Oh, Mommy, are you sad? Let's see, Mommy - I'll make it better..." grabs the remote, "Here. Let me find you your show. Now - where is Ellen??"

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes the best response to a difficult question is "Why do you want to know?" And then sit and really hope they start talking about Choy again. :)