Uffda

Monday, May 08, 2006
This was a harsh Monday morning for all of us. For Josie, because she was able to sleep in for the last 5 days in a row - and given this opportunity, she will sleep until 8:00 or 8:30. 6:30 in the AM does not bode well for my little girl after getting to sleep in. For Pat, because mornings are just hard. And for me, because I got up for a nightly bathroom visit at 2:30, came back to bed, and heard a noise. Not a loud, startling noise, but a constant, ticking or dripping noise. I thought maybe Pat was making this noise somehow (I guess I didn't really stop to think how he might be ticking or dripping,) and asked him if he was making noise. He wasn't. And not only was he not making the noise, he didn't volunteer to either get up and figure out what WAS making the noise, or to lie awake beside me in my misery and see if he could hear the noise. Jerk :) So I got to lie awake, listening alternately to Pat peacefully slumbering away and this mysterious noise - the cause of which has yet to be discovered. So, all of us were moving a little slow this morning. If Josie could talk, she would have told us to get the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of her room and let her go back to sleep!

Let's see - what else is new with us...

Pat:
Hockey season is over. No more 10:00 pm ice times and coming home at 1:30 on a Tuesday night - well, Wednesday morning. For now. But softball has now begun, so instead, he'll be rushing to the fields from work to make 6:00 and 7:00 double-headers. He's even been hitting the batting cages this year - what's up with that??! I'll keep you posted on how many homers he racks up. Work is going well, and that's about it for him. Other than the aforementioned lactose intolerance, which is still a sore subject :(

Josie:
Like all little kids, she LOVES to be outside. So we spent a good portion of the weekend enjoying the beautiful spring weather. I don't know if this is normal or not, but all she wants to do outside is find things to climb on. Steps. Chairs. Plastic pool/sandbox turtles. We climb up the steps. We climb down the steps. Then back up. Then back down. Over. And over. And over. I even stopped at the park on the way home from a walk with her in the stroller, which has quite lovely play equipment, and all we did the whole time we were there was to climb up and down the steps in front of the community center. Her feet never even touched the sand in the playground. This isn't that big of a deal, except that she's not quite proficient at climbing down or off things yet, so mom or dad must be close by to prevent her little head from smacking the little concrete. We're successful most of the time. :)

You all know that Josie resembles her daddy very much, but she also takes after his mannerisms, as well. I have to laugh when sitting at the breakfast table with the two of them, and I look at Pat and he's staring blankly out the window, then I look at Josie, and she's staring blankly across the room, captured in whatever daydream has her attention at the moment. I also busted the two of them licking off their dinner plates one night a while ago. *sigh* Oh, and of couse, don't forget the "not-morning people" thing, too. Very much takes after daddy on that one.

Watch out if you're around her any time soon - she has a fascination with my belly all of the sudden, and is constantly lifting up my shirt to take a look. But then she's lifting up Pat's shirt and daycare Betty's shirt, and a tucked-in shirt won't stop her quest to see your tummy! She'll pat my belly nicely for a minute, but then gives a little pinch or scratch now and then, too. Why do I have a feeling this may be the way with the new baby, too?

At almost 16 months, she's in personality-plus development mode right now. She's developed quite a sense of humor, will laugh when we laugh and do things to "tease" us, dances all the time - music or not, will make funny faces and noises and "pretend" plays. Pat and I were cleaning yesterday, Pat had finished vacuuming and I was sweeping the kitchen floor when I found a empty roll from wrapping paper behind the garbage can. She took this great new toy and pretended to vacuum for the next few minutes. Of course, she also hit the dog with it and poked the cat, but that's a given.

Me:
Closing in on 7 months preggo, and doing fine. I think I was on my feet a bit much the last few days as I'm kinda sore today, but all in all, am doing well. Getting a bit uncomfortable from time to time, but I'm sure I felt the same way with Josie. I have a very short memory for that type of thing! I think I'm in full "nesting" mode as I am making lists of things to get done and constantly thinking about what the new baby will need. Offer Pat a kind word as I'm sure I'm already driving him up a wall. And we've still got a ways to go! I have my 28 week appointment on Thursday. My last doc checked me at 28 weeks and that's when she discovered that I was already dilated to a 1, but I'm not sure if this doc checks yet or not. Guess that will be a surprise. Since my only personal frame of reference is my experience with Josie, I am already mentally preparing myself for the same experiences I had with her, i.e., Terbutaline, bedrest and delivering a month early! It's going to be a rough end of the road if I end up going over 40 weeks with this one, but I'm hoping for a smoother last couple of months than I had last time. Time will tell, and of course, I'll keep you posted, whether you want me to or not! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow carol. 28 weeks. time has sure flown by! it seems like just yesterday you e-mailed me and told me the news! has it flown by for you, too? glad to hear that overall you are feeling good and preparing for your expanding family already! it's better to be prepared and have things taken care of ahead of time, than to be discombobulated (sp?), right?

Anonymous said...

What is with the "uffda"??? You have not one drop of Norweigen(sp) and you haven't been in Newburg that much!!!!!! And of course we want to be kept posted!!! It's so much fun reading all of you guys blogs~~~~why doesn't Tricia do one ,too???!!!!!