It's been a week already?

Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Since last we spoke:

  • The 35W bridge collapsed. I was at happy hour with friends, one of which had just driven over the bridge 20 minutes before. I'm thankful that my friends and family are safe, and sorry for those who can't say the same. But I have to say that I'm a bit horrified at those who try to compare this tragic event, an accident, to 9/11. I blame the intensive media coverage. Let the recovery workers to their work without sensationalizing and dramatizing every aspect of the efforts.

  • On a much different note - Josie successfully dropped her kids off at the pool. Made a $2.00 deposit in the bank of potty. She pooped. In the toilet, that is. We were playdating at the Gronaus' and she spent the entire time going in and out of the bathroom. It's still a novelty to her. Granted, she does actually "go" every time she goes... even a droplet, so it's hard to chastise her for wasting toilet paper or running up the water bill. But "number 2" had been an issue... until last Friday. Yahoo! I daresay that we are on our way to being rid of diapers for one kid. She's been doing so wonderfully... only 3 or 4 accidents since starting to wear big girl undies over a week ago. She's been napping without a diaper since then, as well, and a couple of nights ago asked not to wear a diaper to bed, too. And she made it all night without an accident. I'm still amazed that we're actually in the midst of the much-feared and much-dreaded Potty-Training. And it's not nearly as scary as I imagined. :)

  • Pat left us. For the weekend. He had a softball tournament in Duluth, so I was a "single" parent for the entire weekend. Needless to say, I was really tired come Sunday evening. But the girls survived without their daddy, and we had a very lovely time. We ran errands, played and played, went to the Twin Cities Public Television's 50th anniversary event in downtown St. Paul - and very quickly left as it was INSANELY crowded, played in Mears park with friends, and went to Culver's to celebrate Josie's potty success. It was nice to get some one-on-one time with the girls, and to move up a notch on the snuggling and story-time ladder. Josie actually had to think about it when we asked her who she wanted to read books with the other night. Usually, it's a slam-dunk for Daddy. Granted, I think she still ended up going with Daddy - but at least she had to think about it for a minute :)

  • I got to use our "season tickets" for the Twins for the first time Monday night. We split a flex package with some friends of ours, and up until now, Pat was the only one of us to use the tickets - well, except for a couple of bobblehead games, I guess, but we rarely get to actually go to the game, or if we do, to see much of it. I have to say, that was the first time I've SEEN an entire game in a really long time, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I watched the whole thing, and even kept score (Meg - I think I'm hooked!) - for the Twins, at least. Way too much to ask of me to have to pay attention for the other guys, too! When am I supposed to do my people-watching?

  • Eve has started to make animal noises. Man, she's stinkin' cute. "Woof" is "uffff," and "meow" is "maaaw." She is over her bout of roseola, and finally has her appetite back. Little peanut couldn't afford to lose much more weight. But she's happy and healthy again, much to our relief. She's going to be a climber. She's constantly trying to climb on Josie's bed, and loves to climb into the kid-sized chairs in the living room, turn herself around, sit down and give us a look like "what are you going to do about it?!"

  • My mom's husband, Erwin, received the great news that he is in remission. Thanks to everyone who sent good wishes their way!

And that's about it. We're gearing up for a fun-filled weekend in Newburg and Chatfield. It's Western Days time already! I probably won't check in again until next week... so have a good one!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear about Erwin's health. Thank goodness! Also, I never did find that $.25 you were going to leave on the counter for the toilet paper usage... ;) :) :)

CarolSue said...

Put it on my tab... I'm sure we must be running one somewhere...!