Busted.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009
As I get older, the size of the bag I carry around just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I was rummaging through it last night searching for something, and found a bunch of notes with funny kid sayings and little updates I wanted to remember… so I thought I’d better get them all jotted down somewhere not in danger of getting lost forever. So here you go, in no particular order…

Funny things Evie has said over last couple of months:

“Hey! We’re just hangin’ out!”

Eve, what are you doing in the bathroom? “I just washing my hands!” Why? “I need to wash the monster down the drain. He’s standing right there.”

I gently reminded Eve that she should turn off the water when not using it, so as not to waste it. I then needed to use the bathroom, and Eve remained – to keep me company. I, um, really needed to go… and Eve made the following observation… “Mommy – you’re wasting your pee-pee.”

There is no rushing Eve... which means our mornings are really interesting. And not frustrating, at all. After about 20 minutes of constant reminders to put on her coat, put on her boots, stop reading that book, get out of the laundry basket, and put on your coat already… we were finally headed out the door. When I was gathering up my bag and miscellaneous stuff… Eve yells from the doorway - “Alright, Mommy – Hup-two-three… let’s go! Hurry… we’re going to be LATE!”

It took me a while to figure out one night before bed that when Eve was talking about the “long-n-slower,” she was referring to the “jogging stroller.”

She constantly calls us a “silly goose.”

She called Daddy back in her room one night to ask him “what is THIS?” She was touching her eyebrow, so he told her that’s what it was. She replied,”I take it off, now.”

My laptop is “Mommy’s cuper.”

Before Christmas, we set up our nativity scene. It was tough thing to ask Eve to find the willpower not to touch and play with the pieces. Each morning, she’d go look at it and say “Good morning, Baby Jesus!” Baby Jesus is in a blanket and basket – and she claimed it was “his carseat.” When we’d tell her that his mommy was Mary, she’d ask, “but, where is her little lamb?”

I may have shared this one, already. I forget what I was explaining to Eve, but apparently she didn’t care for my tone… and told me, “I don’t want to hear it from you, Mommy.”

After we went to see Santa in December, Eve told us she wanted a reindeer for Christmas. But we didn’t need to worry, because she wanted “not a lot… just ONE.”

Eve’s response to just about anything negative is “it’s okay, Mommy. That happens.” Not such a great reply to things like hitting her sister, or pooping in her underwear.

Eve has “nightmares.” We frequently wake up and hear her yelling things in her sleep like, “Mommy get me out!!” or “I pursh the button!” or “NO, Josie – I do it!!”

She thinks it’s funny to tell us to “kiss her,” then after we do, she “wipes off” the kiss, and giggles and giggles.

We attended Ryan’s graduation from Mankato State in December, and someone used an air horn during the presentation of diplomas. Eve’s eyes got really big… and she smirked and said, not quietly – mind you, “Mommy TOOTED!” A little later during the ceremony, she started singing, again – not quietly, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town…”

If Eve catches someone doing something they weren’t supposed to be… she’ll smirk and tell them they are “BUSTED!”

Eww. It’s tooty in here.” If you know my husband, I think that one is self-explanatory.


And from Josie…

“I’m a professional, Mommy. Don’t try this at home.”

“Daddy, did you know Mommy is on the naughty list? She tooted on Santa’s lap.”

With pouty lips, “Whatchu talkin’ ‘bout, Willis?”

Josie likes to “surprise” us, and will get herself dressed in her jammies or in her outfit for the day all by herself. If she needs help getting an arm out of a sleeve, or her head through the neck hole, she’ll ask for help, but will tell us “don’t look, it’s going to be a surprise!”

On the way to a play date at Lucy’s house, “That was so nice of God. He put the Gronaus so close to us!”

3 comments:

Jon said...

THIS IS THE GREATEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD!

We attended Ryan’s graduation from Mankato State in December, and someone used an air horn during the presentation of diplomas. Eve’s eyes got really big… and she smirked and said, not quietly – mind you, “Mommy TOOTED!” A little later during the ceremony, she started singing, again – not quietly, “Santa Claus is Coming to Town…”

CarolSue said...

Glad I (or Eve) could make you so happy, Jon. Just you wait... Dylan is going to be dishing it out before you know it!

Rebecca said...

HIlARIOUS! Glad to hear the Daly household is running smoothly! Don't ya love it?!?!? We do the same thing with Viv EVERY morning. Please put on your coat...your hat...your boots...no, no sweetie, please don't take OFF your coat. Ugh. Such is life!