Miscellanies

Wednesday, September 26, 2007
I wrote awhile back about how there were days I feel like a super-mom. Last night, we were a super-family.

It was just one of those nights where everything is spot on, perfect. Of course, there are still moments of whining, defiance and quick tears... and then the girls have their fits, too :) Daycare pick-up was joyful, Eve was a one-girl comedy show, Jo was in a great mood, we warmed up a bunch of leftovers for supper (which would normally put me in a VERY crabby mood... but for some reason, I didn't mind last night,) were done eating and had the kitchen cleaned up before 6:00, got everyone ready, loaded in the wagon and headed to the park. We rivaled the frickin' von Trapp family, sans homemade curtain-clothing.

Since there were frantic middle-school football games going on by "our" park, and we wanted to play some fetch with the dog, we headed up to the local elementary school. Patrick has played with the dog and girls there before, but I never had. It was a nice change of scenery. I don't know what it was, something in the air, alignment of the stars, Jupiter was in retrograde... I don't know. It was just... good. Even though there was a stream of traffic on 3rd St, and people out walking their dogs, and an event going on at the church across the street, I felt like we had the world to ourselves. In that moment, I had everything I could ever ask for.

Maybe we'll have to do leftovers more often.
______________________________________

Updates:

My back and neck are doing much better. I've been going to the natural care clinic a couple times a week. I'll start going once a week now, and can hopefully stop going soon, and be in "rehab." Whatever that means. Do I have to give up the booze?

Speaking of which - Pat and I had an interesting convo last night. He gets confused by "on the wagon" and "off the wagon." He always mixes them up - so when talking about someone who is currently sober, wants to say that they're "off the wagon." Apparently - "the wagon" isn't sobriety in his mind... but one giant party, instead. Woo-hoo! Let's get on the wagon! Maybe it has something to do with the fact that his fraternity always had a float in the homecoming parade in college, and everyone would be drinking and partying at 9:00 in the morning... on the wagon. Hmmm...

Eve's noggin is fine. She's got a nice little gash over her right eye on her forehead, but it looks like it's healing. And it certainly hasn't slowed her down one bit. Now she has taken to giving me mini-heart attacks by trying to climb over the gate at the top of the basement stairs. Might as well reserve a bed in the ER now.

Ben is undergoing treatments. He has a long road ahead. Keep him and my brother and Amy in your thoughts, as it is a bumpy road.

Pat's Grandma is taking things one day at a time. She is still fighting the staph infection and trying to find a balance between all that ails her.

Another Jo-ism... the other night she had a tear in her thumbnail. So I got the clippers and took care of it for her. It had torn a little short, and must have been bothering her. She said something about it hurting, and I told her that I was sorry it hurt, but it would grow out soon and stop hurting. She thought about this for a while, and then asked me "when her thumb would grow up.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Carol,

It’s me Amanda from the frozen north. Do me a huge favor and take a look at my phone service it might save you some $. You could get the unlimited local/long distance package on the Digital Phone Service over any broadband connection for $23.99 a month. It saved my mom $45.00.
Go to http://amandastrom.acnrep.com. I hope that your week gets better!