74 lbs. of Boomity Boom

Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Holy Wa!


Charlotte's a fun town. I highly recommend that you give it a whirl sometime. Bars, restaurants and down-right friendly folk a-plenty overflow into the very clean, very entertaining Uptown (which is actually the Downtown) district. I'm fixin' to go back sometime, y'all. There's just something about the South that is very appealing - it's an attitude, or an outlook on life, I don't know - they're just not rushed or worried or stressed about much of anything. Hotter than he-awll (that's Tennessee speak for "hell", that's right, 2 syllables) but it is here, too - so what the hey!

AACTfest '07 has come and gone, and Escanaba got screwed. It was the only comedy of the 12 shows there, and unfortunately, the 3 adjudicators were musical theater freaks. (No offense, Meg. But they are a strange crew, don't you have to admit?!) They did win the award for best sound design (awesome sound effects, including the most amazing fart I've ever heard, and I'm married to Pat!), and that was the only acknowledgement they received - oh, wait, they did get some runner-up award for backstage congeniality or something like that. Sure, I'm biased, but their show kicked ass, and everyone knew it. All week those who were in the theater on Wednesday night to see the performance kept telling the cast and crew that they'd be one of the top plays, for sure. And after getting the shaft, everyone was scratching their heads as to what the heck happened. There really should be different categories in the judging, comedies / dramas vs. musicals. Don't get me wrong - I love a good musical. But they are so different in so many aspects, I don't quite understand how they can be judged on the same criteria. And a great comedy is so hard to pull off - and they did it spectacularly. We actually witnessed people slapping their knees and doubled over with laughter. *Humph* But they made it to the national competition, and put on an amazing show, and had fun all the while. And I guess that's what counts. What an honor it was to watch my brother on stage, leading the laughs with amazing comedic timing. He got the shaft, too, for best actor - not even a nomination. Frickin' musicals. It's not ACTING, and that's all I have to say about that, before I get myself into trouble. :)

To the cast and crew of Escanaba in da Moonlight - thanks for an amazing experience. You are wonderfully creative, funny and talented people, and I can't thank you enough for welcoming us into the "Yooper" crew with such open arms. I hope you all enjoyed the Woo-Woos as much as Marie did! :)

So now I find myself back, at work, at home, drowning in piles of dirty laundry and work to catch up on. But it was worth every minute. Only 4 nights away from home - and my girls decided to grow up! Well, not really, but now Eve is throwing around "Uh-uh Oh"s and Josie is just - so big! It sounds like they had a splendiferous time and every minute was packed with some kind of fun. Thank you, Daddy Pat... you're kind of nice. I think I'll keep ya.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you're certainly not going to get in trouble with me. I'd be the first to admit that musical theatre freaks are a couple nuts short of a Snickers bar, for sure. That's a stinker that the play got hosed for awards! But art is so difficult to judge... and YES of course there ought to be different categories for musicals. Tony does it that way, and TONY IS ALWAYS RIGHT. :)

I'm so glad you had such a great time! Welcome home, talk to you soon.