Priorities

Monday, December 05, 2005
What is it about having nothing to do that perpetuates doing nothing?

I was looking forward to a wide-open weekend with NO plans. Wow - what a lot of stuff around the house I was going to get done! Well, guess what... I pretty much got nothing done. Don't get me wrong - I'm not beating myself up about it (too much - with the exception of a missed playdate Saturday - darn Josie and her erratic napping habits!) but it does lead to frustration. Sure, I got the laundry washed, dried, folded and put away, which is quite a feat in and of itself - but there are still dishes in the sink, hair on the bathroom floor and Christmas decos in their boxes. I wanted to organize the closet overflowing with out-of-season clothes - didn't happen. I wanted to get the extra overstuffed sofa out of our living room so we have an iota of space - didn't happen. I wanted to get my recipes picked out for the annual cookie bake coming up - didn't happen. We desperately need a run to Target, and that didn't happen, either. We DID have a very nice visit Saturday with one of Pat's uncles and family, and had brunch Sunday with another couple and their adorable 4 month old that we don't get to see very much - so all wasn't lost. And I guess I could have foregone the 2 hour nap on Saturday afternoon while Josie was napping... but that is a precious opportunity that I just couldn't let pass! And I guess Jo could have taken her 1/2 hour catnap yesterday afternoon in her crib instead of cuddled up on me while we snuggled underneath a blanket... but again, couldn't pass that one up, either. So I guess how you look at what got accomplished is all a matter of priorities.

I'll take cuddle naps and brunch any day over dishes and closet-organizing. :)

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Cuddle naps and brunch---so much better than anything called work! (Especially cleaning out closets--yuck!)

MC said...

Brunch is a good idea. We should all do Brunch more often! Does Josie really turn in at 6:30? I hope you were kidding a little bit.

CarolSue said...

Brunch is the BEST! It's breakfast, it's lunch... how could you get any better??!

I only wish I were kidding. 6:30 is about right... IF we can have her sleep in a bit on the weekend until like 7:00, AND we can get her to nap in the afternoon, then MAYBE she'll make it until 7:00 or 7:30. My girl likes her bedtime! But it really makes the weeknights with her awfully short when we don't get home until 5:30.

Unknown said...

Brunch = Cheesy-Egg-Bake = GOOD.

Sorry, that was totally pointless, but MAN that sounds nummy.